Solving the problem (8A)

1. The buildings around campus (and around other campuses) do not have good/enough recycling accessibility for its residents.

2. My solution to this problem is implementing recycling chutes into future buildings being built and making these recycling chutes a part of the building codes in Florida. If possible, the most ideal solution in my eyes would be to implement recycling chutes into already existing buildings as well as future ones. However, I understand that this is most likely very difficult if not impossible—so for these apartments (the already built ones) they should be required by law to make recycling bins as easily accessible as the garbage bins are. This could mean putting recycling bins by the trash chutes or put recycling bins next to the trash bins. I think this increase in accessibility would surely increase the amount of trash people choose to recycle rather than throw into the regular trash. Honestly, I am surprised that the buildings around campus that have recently been built have not implemented better recycling management into their waste management planning already.

Comments

  1. Martha,

    I definitely think you provided a great solution to the issue that is currently presented. My apartment complex barely has recycling chutes and then recycling ends up thrown in trash instead of going to where it needs to. There should be a law for it but unfortunately there is not. Hopefully that changes in the near future. Thank you for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Martha!
    I agree that making it mandatory through Florida regulation, would force future construction to include proper bins for recycling! However, I find it would be hard to implement the measure in already existing buildings. You made a very good point on noticing that the University campus is not adequately prepared with proper recycling chutes and seeing how they are the biggest influence in the Gainesville community, they could lead with the example! By implementing recycling bins, and perhaps spreading the word on easy, affordable and even fun ways of recycling better, it would be easier for the same students to demand their own apartment buildings to comply with this regulation and provide the appropriate waste chutes! Overall, I think it's a great idea and a topic that requires all our attention!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment