Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2 (15A)


Interview 1: How the product looks matters the most because it is what catches my attention, but then when it comes to making the final decision the price is what determines if I buy it or not. When it comes to recycling what determines if I recycle or waste is how accessible it is, so if there are recycling bins in the dorms you will recycle more but if you have to work harder to do it you won’t be thinking about it. It’s something you wouldn’t think about on your own. I buy in a store because I like seeing what I am buying and the quality of it with my own eyes. I am more likely to pay with a card when buying than cash. What matters most of the ‘rightness’ of the product is how much of the product I use after I buy it. Like if I do not use it I think it was bad that I bought it. How much I will use the product and how necessary it is helps determine whether it is something that I want or if it is something that I need. I think a purchase was a bad idea if it is something that was overpriced or not worth the price.

Interview 2: Price, quality, and style all matter equally to me when making a purchase. When it comes to recycling-- Most of the time if I get a package I recycle the box before I come upstairs because I know that once I bring it up I will be more likely to throw it away. We usually just throw away our plastic bottles. I am more likely to buy in store than online because when buying clothing for example: the sizing can be hard to do online. I am more likely to finance my purchases. If I buy something and I don’t end up using it then I think it’s a waste of money and then I regret it. If I am happy after wards than I think the purchase was a good idea, but if I regret buying it when I get home and know I could have spent that money on another thing I think it was a bad idea.

Interview 3: For me style, price, and then quality matters most to me in that order and I think those three things are the only things I consider when purchasing something. When it comes to recycling what determines if I recycle or throw away is if there is a recycling bin nearby. I buy online because I can usually buy things for cheaper than I can find them in stores. I usually pay with card. When I think back on the ‘rightness’ of a purchase what matters most is if I like it. I think the purchase was a good idea if I get use out of it. I think the purchase was probably a bad idea if I never use it/if it sits in my room with the price tag still on it after about a month.

Conclusions: When it comes to alternative evaluation people definitely choose the option that is most accessible and convenient. Also two of the three interviews thought all three (style, price, quality) were important factors. For purchase decisions all said they would prefer to pay with card and two of the three preferred shopping in person to shopping online. Lastly, all my interviewees determined their post-purchase evaluation on the amount of use they got out of the product after they buy it.



Comments

  1. Martha,

    I agree that the three factors you mentioned are key when consumers buy stuff. I loved how I kept reading the three different interviews and I already knew the question of how good the flow was. I feel the answers were key to know consumer behavior and how they shop in their everyday life. I would consider myself more like the third interviewer. Great job writing this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Martha great interviews on figuring out buyer behavior. I agree with your first interviewee that the look of the product makes a difference. You always want to buy the first thing that catches your attention. I agree with her that I fall into the same category if I am to recycle, it depends on how accessible it is. If the recycling process is complicated like it was at my apartment complex, I am more likely to not recycle things like plastic bottles and cardboard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment