1) Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time.
One of my classes has online quizzes for some of the chapters that we learn. Because the quizzes are sporadic one must stay on top of the schedule to make sure not to miss one. Because I was not as focused as I probably should have been I ended up missing two of the quizzes and received a 0 on them.
2) Tell us what you learned from it.
From this experience I learned to write down all of the due dates in my planner and leave it open on my desk so that every day I will see what needs to get done. This taught me the importance of organization and focus.
3) Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were just a few months ago?
I think failure is always hard to go through but it definitely helps people grow. I try not to let failure bring me down or make me feel bad because I know that everyone fails from time to time. I also try not to spend too much of my energy dwelling on that failure because I know I am wasting my time—rather I try to learn and build from it as soon as possible. When it comes to this class, I think I am more likely to take a risk now than I would have a few months ago because when I first started I did not think my product would be able to be done with all the assignments but now that the semester is almost over I have completed almost every one.
One of my classes has online quizzes for some of the chapters that we learn. Because the quizzes are sporadic one must stay on top of the schedule to make sure not to miss one. Because I was not as focused as I probably should have been I ended up missing two of the quizzes and received a 0 on them.
2) Tell us what you learned from it.
From this experience I learned to write down all of the due dates in my planner and leave it open on my desk so that every day I will see what needs to get done. This taught me the importance of organization and focus.
3) Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were just a few months ago?
I think failure is always hard to go through but it definitely helps people grow. I try not to let failure bring me down or make me feel bad because I know that everyone fails from time to time. I also try not to spend too much of my energy dwelling on that failure because I know I am wasting my time—rather I try to learn and build from it as soon as possible. When it comes to this class, I think I am more likely to take a risk now than I would have a few months ago because when I first started I did not think my product would be able to be done with all the assignments but now that the semester is almost over I have completed almost every one.
Martha,
ReplyDeleteI really resonate with the post you made about your failure with missing a couple of quizzes because I used to be the same way. In fact in a previous class I took missing a couple of quizzes really was the difference between a B+ to an A- so it really stinks. I'm glad to see you found a positive output in it all though! Thank you for sharing
Hey Martha great post. I understand your failure as it has happened to me in previous classes. Online classes especially, it is hard to keep up with and if you are not writing things down in a planner, things can get out of control. What also helped me in this situation was writing it down in my smartphone as a reminder to remind myself that I had a quiz on a specific date.
ReplyDelete