1. Social capital—recycling and global warming are an issue many people are passionate about and are determined to make a change.
§ Valuable: The more people demand the need and back up the product, the easier it will be to make it happen.
§ Rare: Not many products have a large demand that comes from a point of social change.
§ Inimitable: To have a large following on a social issue, it must be very important and it must have a way to make people care about it (i.e. showing the effects global warming has on our environment due to our pollution).
§ Non-substitutable: Having a large demand can't be substituted for anything else. If people don't support your product, you won't succeed.
2. My passion in everything I do and about this issue in particular that my product is solving.
§ V: This is valuable because it will drive me to make it happen
§ R: This is rare because not everyone cares deeply about their products.
§ I: You can't make someone feel passionate towards something if they do not care about it.
§ N: I don't think anything can drive a person more than someones passion.
3. My perseverance:
§ V: If someone gives up easily they won't get their product anywhere.
§ R: Not everyone can push through when things get hard.
§ I: I think perseverance is a skill I learned by playing sports and running cross country in high school, so its not something that comes naturally but rather something we have to learn.
§ N: This is non-substitutable because everything is not always going to be easy when building a product and one needs to be able to work through those times in order to succeed.
4. My open-mindedness:
§ V: It is valuable because if one is not open to change it will prevent them from making the product the best it can be.
§ R: It is rare because it is hard to take and accept criticism and changes on something you worked so hard on.
§ I: I think this is very hard to copy. It is more of a personality/mindset.
§ N: The only thing that could be substitutable for being open-minded would be reasonableness.
5. My Creativity
§ V: Thinking out of the box is how innovation happens.
§ R: I think creativity is rare because you have to be able to think in unconventional ways sometimes-that defines the word 'rare' in some ways.
§ I: I think creativity is very hard to copy because everyone is creative in their own ways. One can try to replicate one's way of thinking but they most likely will not be able to replicate it exactly.
§ N: It is non-substitutable because without creativity this product would never have even been thought up.
6. Being Reasonable:
§ V: This is valuable because if one doesn't make rational decisions they could end up taking their product in the wrong direction.
§ R: This is rare because sometimes when one gets too wrapped up in something it is hard to take a step back and think clearly but it is definitely a vital skill to have.
§ I: Again, being reasonable is not something that one can fake or copy. It is more of an inherent skill.
§ N: This is non-substitutable because one must make reasonable decisions if they want their business to flourish.
7. Goal oriented
§ V: This is valuable because you need a goal to keep you focused
§ R: This is rare because often people forget what they are going after
§ I: This cannot be copied because if you know what you want and go after it, it would be very difficult for something to get in your way.
§ N: This could not be substituted for anything. Your goal is what drives you. If I didn't have a goal for my product I wouldn't be able to move forward in anyway with it.
8. Being able to make sacrifices
§ V: Knowing how to make sacrifices (i.e. time, a certain idea, etc) is important if you really care about your opportunity.
§ R: This is rare because giving up something valuable like a large amount of one's time is hard to do especially when you're not getting a lot out of your product at the moment.
§ I: This cannot be copied because it is a skill one has to be willing to do, not something you can copy from someone else.
§ N: This is non-substitutable because if you're not giving something up for your product you probably aren't getting much gain from it.
9. Focused
§ V: This is valuable because focus makes sure you get everything done that needs to get done.
§ R: This is rare because it is very hard to focus, especially when there is a lot to get done.
§ I: This is inimitable because focus is not something you can force.
§ N: This is non-substitutable because if you don't stay focused you won't get anything done.
10. Easy going
§ V: It is important to stay focused, but being easy going is just as important because not everything will always go as planned and you will need to be able to go with the flow at times.
§ R: This is rare because it is hard not to get caught up in things, especially when you have worked so hard on your product.
§ I: Being easy-going is more of a personality type. It's not something one can copy from another person. One can try to emulate anothers easygoingness but it can't be copied
§ N: This is non-substitutable because being able to compromises is extremely important especially when working in a group.
§ Valuable: The more people demand the need and back up the product, the easier it will be to make it happen.
§ Rare: Not many products have a large demand that comes from a point of social change.
§ Inimitable: To have a large following on a social issue, it must be very important and it must have a way to make people care about it (i.e. showing the effects global warming has on our environment due to our pollution).
§ Non-substitutable: Having a large demand can't be substituted for anything else. If people don't support your product, you won't succeed.
2. My passion in everything I do and about this issue in particular that my product is solving.
§ V: This is valuable because it will drive me to make it happen
§ R: This is rare because not everyone cares deeply about their products.
§ I: You can't make someone feel passionate towards something if they do not care about it.
§ N: I don't think anything can drive a person more than someones passion.
3. My perseverance:
§ V: If someone gives up easily they won't get their product anywhere.
§ R: Not everyone can push through when things get hard.
§ I: I think perseverance is a skill I learned by playing sports and running cross country in high school, so its not something that comes naturally but rather something we have to learn.
§ N: This is non-substitutable because everything is not always going to be easy when building a product and one needs to be able to work through those times in order to succeed.
4. My open-mindedness:
§ V: It is valuable because if one is not open to change it will prevent them from making the product the best it can be.
§ R: It is rare because it is hard to take and accept criticism and changes on something you worked so hard on.
§ I: I think this is very hard to copy. It is more of a personality/mindset.
§ N: The only thing that could be substitutable for being open-minded would be reasonableness.
5. My Creativity
§ V: Thinking out of the box is how innovation happens.
§ R: I think creativity is rare because you have to be able to think in unconventional ways sometimes-that defines the word 'rare' in some ways.
§ I: I think creativity is very hard to copy because everyone is creative in their own ways. One can try to replicate one's way of thinking but they most likely will not be able to replicate it exactly.
§ N: It is non-substitutable because without creativity this product would never have even been thought up.
6. Being Reasonable:
§ V: This is valuable because if one doesn't make rational decisions they could end up taking their product in the wrong direction.
§ R: This is rare because sometimes when one gets too wrapped up in something it is hard to take a step back and think clearly but it is definitely a vital skill to have.
§ I: Again, being reasonable is not something that one can fake or copy. It is more of an inherent skill.
§ N: This is non-substitutable because one must make reasonable decisions if they want their business to flourish.
7. Goal oriented
§ V: This is valuable because you need a goal to keep you focused
§ R: This is rare because often people forget what they are going after
§ I: This cannot be copied because if you know what you want and go after it, it would be very difficult for something to get in your way.
§ N: This could not be substituted for anything. Your goal is what drives you. If I didn't have a goal for my product I wouldn't be able to move forward in anyway with it.
8. Being able to make sacrifices
§ V: Knowing how to make sacrifices (i.e. time, a certain idea, etc) is important if you really care about your opportunity.
§ R: This is rare because giving up something valuable like a large amount of one's time is hard to do especially when you're not getting a lot out of your product at the moment.
§ I: This cannot be copied because it is a skill one has to be willing to do, not something you can copy from someone else.
§ N: This is non-substitutable because if you're not giving something up for your product you probably aren't getting much gain from it.
9. Focused
§ V: This is valuable because focus makes sure you get everything done that needs to get done.
§ R: This is rare because it is very hard to focus, especially when there is a lot to get done.
§ I: This is inimitable because focus is not something you can force.
§ N: This is non-substitutable because if you don't stay focused you won't get anything done.
10. Easy going
§ V: It is important to stay focused, but being easy going is just as important because not everything will always go as planned and you will need to be able to go with the flow at times.
§ R: This is rare because it is hard not to get caught up in things, especially when you have worked so hard on your product.
§ I: Being easy-going is more of a personality type. It's not something one can copy from another person. One can try to emulate anothers easygoingness but it can't be copied
§ N: This is non-substitutable because being able to compromises is extremely important especially when working in a group.
- I would say my top resource is would be my social capital. The reason I think this is my top resource is because environmental protection is a global issue that people everywhere are very passionate about. The more people care for a need and demand for a product to fulfill that need, the more likely it will be for that product to be possible.
I think your social capital is good if you want to make a law. Green ratings are important for any public university in this time. We are a generation committed to helping our planet. As a whole, if we could get our local government to enforce these recycling chutes because the University of Florida does not see a need for them, we could get a head start. I would think about making a facebook page or instagram account and get a big following so you can make the change you want to see here on our campus. Good post!
ReplyDeleteHey Martha great post. I agree with you that social capital should be your most important resource. It is very important to educate the public on the importance of recycling. Recycling is very important and in a college environment it is crucial that students have the availability to recycle. Most people know the importance of recycling but if it is not convenient, students will not recycle.
ReplyDelete